Realtek WiFi RTL8188EE WLAN -- HORRIBLE Linux Support!

Their website, http://www.realtek.com.tw/, while not being discriminatory, seems like it's written by a middle-schooler and is seriously outdated. In fact, the bottom of their page says "Best viewed with IE [Internet Explorer] 6.0, Netscape 7.0.2 or Mozilla Firefox 1.0.6 or higher"? Seriously? IE is nearing End-Of-Life as according to Microsoft, Netscape is no longer being developed, and Firefox is at, what, version 37 now (according to the version I have installed in Fedora 21)? What about Google Chrome/Chromium? Opera?

But what I'm complaining about is Realtek support in Linux (no matter if Ubuntu, Debian, Red Hat, Fedora, CentOS, whatever) is downright horrible at best. Sure, they released drivers for Linux, but no matter what a Google search would reveal (there is a Reddit about Realtek about how horrible they are in Linux, but for a family audience, I humbly decline to link it [language reasons]), Realtek WiFi drops, slows down to basically ridiculous speeds and the network SSID (Network name) cuts out and only a reboot can solve it!

Some people have suggested to recompile the kernel and/or the driver sources. Realtek just needs to get their act together and stop making poor quality hardware.

This isn't restricted to Linux only. Even Realtek WLAN NIC [Network Interface Cards] have serious issues in Windows too.

Simply put, doesn't matter if English is not their first language. Their documentation is poorly written, and even their "changelogs" are cryptic as who-knows-what.

The thing is, I paid for 802.11 b/g/n hardware in my HP laptop. I should expect that performance. Not some low-quality unreliable network interface possibly hastily thrown together!

I might as well rip that Realtek card OUT of my laptop and replace it with something else more reliable. My USB WiFi adapter that I bought with a Raspberry Pi starter kit (which has a Ralink chipset) works at LEAST 100x better than the Realtek crud I have paid, but didn't really ask for, to be installed!

Reason of review: Bad quality.

Preferred solution: Release FULL Specs of your Hardware AND License under GNU GPL v2 or v3 or a compatible license.

• Linux
  • Fedora 21
  • Ubuntu
  • Debian
Company wrote 0 private or public responses to the review from Apr 13, 2015.